Saint George’s is a supporter of The Claggett Center, the retreat and conference center of the Episcopal Diocese of Maryland.
The Center is located on the historic Hasselbach farm, built in 1811. Daniel, Joseph, and William Baker, founded the Buckingham Industrial School for Boys in 1898. The Baker family endowed the school as an institution where poor boys might have a home and received a good education. The enrollment averaged 50 Buckingham Boys between the ages of 6 and 18. In addition to their industrial education the boys took care of gardening, milking, canning, and tending the orchards. The school closed in 1943, and the property was given to the Diocese of Maryland in 1950.
Since then, it has grown into a full-service facility, with multi-purpose conference rooms, a spacious dining hall, and two chapels. Accommodations are available in the hotel-style Christiana Inn, as well as in large cabins and the former dormitory of the boys’ school.
We invite you to visit the website of The Claggett Center and see all the wonderful work that is being done there, and to join in supporting this important resource, not only for the Dioceses of Maryland and Washington, but for parishes and organizations throughout the Mid-Atlantic.